All of our Christmas stuff is coming together now. The money that we donate each to the family of my husbands’ friend is in the mail and will be delivered Thursday. I think that is the last thing that I had to do except teacher gifts for the kids and they are bought and packaged and just waiting for their parties on Thursday.
We are going to my parent’s for Christmas this year. Usually we go for the long Thanksgiving weekend, but with the baby being due, we weren’t able to travel. My mom said that everyone is excited to see us, and of course the baby.
Speaking of L, my husband weighed her and she was 10# 3 oz. with her clothes on, so I am figuring around 10 pounds or so. She is growing beautifully!
I am enjoying feeling better and better every day.
GOALS FOR 2013
1. I want to make sure to use up all of the leftovers. My kids are really good about eating leftovers, so that isn’t the problem. The problem is finishing up every little bit of many different items without anything getting bad or lost in the refrigerator.
2. I want to try some new recipes. I am going to try for 2 new recipes each month. I think food prices are going to go way up soon and I would like to have some cheap, filling meals that the kids like and will eat. I have found that as my boys are getting bigger, they eat a lot! They aren’t too into casseroles, but they have been really open to trying my food experiments lately. If I come up with some good recipes, I will post them on the blog for others to try.
3. I am going to try making more stuff from scratch. I want to try to cut my grocery bill. With 5 growing boys, it will be tough, but I think with smarter choices, it can be done. I want to make at least 2 things from scratch each week.
4. Learn how to can with a pressure canner. I am getting the canner for Christmas. I want to learn how to use it and fill up our basement shelving unit with the stuff that I have canned. I want to have 10 jars canned each month.
5. I want to keep track of some of the frugal things I am doing to help save time, money, or gasoline. I will try to update one time each week.
6. ETA: I also want to be able to run a 5k without stopping by the end of the year.
I want to challenge myself to use our resources wisely and not be lazy (which I have a tendency to do when I’m tired.) I will be using the older children to help me out and hopefully teach them some cooking, canning, and grocery strategies that will help them in the future.
Here’s to a great 2013!